Tuesday 28 February 2012

Vincent Wants to Sea (2011) review from GFF 2012

Here's my short review for Vincent Wants to Sea, which I wrote for STV's Entertainment website after seeing it on the last day of the Glasgow Film Festival 2012:

http://entertainment.stv.tv/film/299184-vincent-wants-to-sea-provides-some-guilty-laughs-at-glasgow-film-festival/

I didn't really think much of it.  I felt as though they were exploiting characters who had mental health problems for the sake of comedy alone, whilst trying to hide behind a pretense of emotional sensitivity.  I get the whole "oh, it's fine, people with behavioural, social and mental disorders are entitled to be funny protagonists in films too, don't be so politically correct, that's worse than not representing them at all!" argument, but this was an almost slapstick comedy that set out to make people laugh, not a poignant social drama that set out to break down prejudice and change people's attitudes.


No comments:

Post a Comment