Tuesday 3 April 2012

David Kay stands out at the Glasgow Comedy Festival

I went to see Scottish comedian David Kay at Oran Mor in Glasgow on Saturday night as part of the Glasgow Comedy Festival.  STV asked me to write up a review for their website too, so HERE IT IS.

I've actually known David for a number of years now, since he lives and works in my hometown where I grew up.  I used to be in a couple of bands and he was the tech guy for a council-run multimedia centre at the time (talk about multi-talented), so we used to go and pester him to help us record our needlessly heavy, typically teenage angsty songs.

He is one of the most laid-back guys I've ever met in my life, and this really reflects in his comic style.  It's an acquired taste, I think, but massively appreciated by those who 'get' it.  Me being one of those appreciators, obviously.

He's done a number of things for TV and radio and was talking to me after the show about an upcoming project for TV, which I'm not really sure I'm allowed to say anything about yet.  Needless to say, the guy's a (somewhat hidden) gem of Scottish comedy and deserves some serious recognition.

As well as writing up the review, I also helped film the show with the production company Small Majority as part of a DVD project he'll be offering soon.  It was all shot on sparkling HD on DSLRs, so it will look cracking.




No comments:

Post a Comment